The Tandoori chicken needs no introduction. It was even a favorite of our Late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru it seems. Tandoori chicken is a favorite at our place to, and we never miss a chance whenever we are at a North Indian restaurant. Although it gets its name cos its made in the cylindrical clay oven, this recipe version can be tried in a normal cooking range/ oven, and I guarantee that the recipe does justice too….I have tried this a couple of times now, and it’s been a winner, every single time.
The chicken is marinated with lime, yoghurt and a variety of spices, which tenderizes the meat and adds a lot of flavor. This chicken was perfect and juicy,and that’s another dish that will be a regular for those special weekends. All those myths about tandoori Chicken are now over.
And the fact that this can be made in your homes? With the aroma filling every nook and corner. Your neighbours will envy you for this….once they get to know that this was completely homemade.
The Oh so famous Tandoori Chicken will definitely make you famous too…..So try this temptingly delicious tandoori Chicken for your family and friends, and get ready to be a kitchen queen..
Roasted pieces of Tandoori chicken marinated with yoghurt, lemon and flavor spices, will bring new meaning to your dining experien
- Chicken Leg/ Thigh pieces - 7-8
- Marinade 1 (30 mins)
- Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Marinade 2 (2 hours plus)
- Hung Curd - 2 tbsp
- Tandoori Chicken Masala - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Kassori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves) - 1 heaped tbsp
- Clarified butter/ Leftover Marinade - for basting
- Red food color - optional
- Clean chicken and make cuts on the flesh for proper marination. In a small bowl, add the ingredients listed in Marinade 1.
- Rub this mixture on to the chicken pieces, and leave it for around 30 mins
- By this time, prepare the hung curd. Hung card is just yoghurt that has been tied onto a muslin cloth to remove excess water. Once its ready, prepare the Marinade 2.Mix all the ingredients into a thick paste
- Apply the mixture on the chicken pieces. This should be a thick coat. For best results,. keep the marinade overnight in refrigerator (covered). If not, please ensure that its left to absorb the marinade for atleast 2 hours.
- Once you’re ready to cook, leave the marinade in the open, until it reaches room temperature. Add a tbsp of ghee, and mix coarsely.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Prepare the grill pan and grease well. Place the chicken on the grill/ baking pan, Bake for 25 minutes. Remove pan and flip the pieces. Baste with remaining marinade or some clarified butter, and bake for another 25 mins, until slightly charred and completely cooked.
- Sprinkle chaat masala (if you like), and serve with mint chutney.
- You may even try Mustard Oil instead of clarified butter for cooking. This gives a different aroma to the chicken.
- If using a grill, place the pieces on the rack,, with a baking tray below to catch any drips. Grill for around 8 mins, then flip over the pieces, giving it a good sweep of ghee/ marinade, and grill for another 8 mins, until cooked..