During the Holy Ramadan season, people gift each other dates and sweets. So we are usually left with a lot of dates at home. So I decided to try a new dish that uses dates, and then I came across this beautiful Sticky Dates Pudding recipe from Jamie Olivers site…
Dates is part of our regular diet, and one of the healthier options if you are in the mood for something sweet. It has an impressive list of nutrients and they replenish energy and revitalize the body instantly. For these qualities, they are used to break the fast during Ramadan month since ancient times.
The recipe had quite a few ingredients, but it did look easy .. This is the perfect dessert that can be baked to impress during those Iftars, and I’m sure that its gonna win hearts.
So why not try this delicious Sticky Dates Pudding with the amazing toffee sauce for your next Iftar?
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Yield : 6-8
- dates - 225 gms, stoned
- bicarbonate soda - 1tsp
- unsalted butter - 85 gms, softened
- caster sugar - 150 gms
- self-raising flour - 150 gms
- Eggs - 2
- ground mixed spice - 1/2 teaspoon
- ground cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
- Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
- yoghurt - 2 tbsp
- For the Toffee Sauce
- Unsalted butter - 115 g
- light muscovado sugar - 115 g (see notes)
- double cream - 140 ml
1. Place the stoned dates in a bowl with a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and cover with some boiling water. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes to soften, then drain.
2. Use a food processor to puree the dates. Cream butter and sugar until pale using a wooden spoon/ hand blender. Add the eggs, flour, mixed spice, cinnamon and brown sugar. Mix together well.
3. Fold in the yoghurt and the dates puree using a wooden spoon until everything has been mixed well.
4. Preheat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Pour the mixture into a buttered, ovenproof dish and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
5. While the pudding is cooking, the toffee sauce can be made. On low heat, add the butter, sugar and cream in a pan. Once the sauce has thickened and darkened in colour, remove from the heat.
6.To serve, spoon out the pudding at the table with a generous serving of the toffee sauce over it..