A huge gap of 2 months…..Not good….but I was’nt lazy…So many things in this short period..and we’re glad, some of them are behind us now, and some amazing developments that we are so looking forward to…Anyways, let’s get back to some lip smacking veggie items, as promised.
I always thought aubergine, eggplant and brinjal were all different…Nah…All these are same,it’s just that the British or the Americans or even Italians choose to put different names, and we end up confused.
Although never one of my favorites earlier, I loved its deep purple color. Also seen in Indian cuisines, the baingan bartha is one of my husbands favorite veggie dishes…Surprisingly, the middle eastern cuisine also uses the eggplant, the famous one being the baba ghanoush and Mousaka…
However, the post is not about any of these recipes, and I have never made them either….The one below is an extremely simple recipe, Oven Roasted Eggplants….served mostly as an appetizer…The highlight is the ease in preparing it…You just cut it up…add spices, roast it in the oven..and voila…Ready to Serve…
I’ve seen recipes that just add salt and pepper/ chili flakes to the cut eggplants, and get them roasted…However, I knew I needed more….some paprika, pepper, some cheese and cherry tomatoes, and the whole dish looked like a mini pizza…And did you know cherry tomatoes taste better once they are oven roasted?
I was still not sure about this dish…So I made these Oven Roasted Eggplants when a wonderful couple from Singapore visited us….I served these roasted eggplants, to which they responded-‘this is the best bhaingan we’ve ever had’…need I say more??
Try the Oven Roasted Eggplants for a quick simple dish…..
• Choose round, meaty eggplants. Slice eggplant into nice flat rounds, around ½ inch thick.
• Brush with olive oil. Top it with spices, pepper, sea salt and cheese . As simple as that...
• Place them on a roast pan. Place the cherry tomatoes on the pan. Oven roasted cherry tomatoes taste better, and are sweeter.
• Roast in 200 C until golden.(takes around 10-15 mins) You could brush some more olive oil, if required.
• Take roast pan out of the oven. Garnish with fresh herbs and top them with oven roasted cherry tomatoes and serve.
I left the cherry tomatoes in the oven for some more time, until almost crisp…